Breadfruit is seasonal much-loved veggie in our coastal region of Karnataka.
It is something we all grew up with – “a comfort food”
It can be consumed when it is mature, but still firm and can be cooked and eaten in so many forms.
This picture is not enough to bring out the glory of this sambar. This veggie is very soft, melt in the mouth types and combined with this sambar, it makes a heavenly gravy. Let us see how to prepare it-
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp.
Jaggery – 1 to 2 tsp.
Toor dal – ¼ cup (cooked)
For masala : Coriander – 1 tbl sp , cumin – ½ tbl sp ,urad dal – 1 ½ tbl sp , hing – ¼ tsp and grated coconut – 1 bowl ,tamarind – 1tsp, red chillies – 2.
Seasoning: Coconut oil, mustard, curry leaves and chopped onion – 1 tbl sp.
- Wash breadfruit, peel the outer skin and inner core. Make chunk like pieces.
- Keep these chunks in water for 2 minutes and drain.
- Cook these pieces with sufficient water, salt, jaggery, red chilli powder.
- Now take one kadai, add 1 tsp of coconut oil, put coriander, cumin, urad dal, hing and red chillies – fry in a low flame. When urad dal becomes red, switch off and grind this masala by adding coconut, tamarind and required amount of water to fine paste.
- When breadfruit pieces are done, add cooked dal and ground masala .Check for the salt .Keep this on the stove top and boil this mixture.
- After it boils switch off and add seasoning by heating coconut oil, add mustard when it starts spluttering. Add curry leaves and chopped onion. Fry nicely till onion chunks are brown and add this over ready sambar.
- Enjoy this sambar with hot rice.