Last week my sis-in-law gave me these wild mangoes from her hometown and lucky me, I got this after so many years and I prepared this traditional curry out of it. Wild mangoes have sour and sweet combined distinct taste, it is widely used in varieties of curries in our region. This particular curry doesn’t need any heating and is a perfect treat for summer. Usually, we enjoy this with hot rice.
Wild mangoes -5-6
Salt – to taste
Jaggery – to taste
Fresh Coconut gratings – 1 bowl
Red chillies – 2
Mustard – 1 tsp
Seasoning: Coconut oil – 1 tsp, mustard – 1 tsp, Red chilli – 1, Curry leaves – little.
- Wash wild mangoes, remove top part of the mango, remove outer skin and keep this in a separate vessel. Keep inner fruit part in another vessel.
- Add one cup of water to outer skin, mash nicely, collect pulpy water and add this to fruit. Discard outer remaining skin. Add required amount of jaggery, salt and mix.
- Grind fresh coconut, mustard and red chillies to a fine paste by adding little water.(No need to roast Chillies and mustard)
- Add this ground paste to mango and check for the seasoning. If needed add some more grated jaggery or salt.
- Season by using coconut oil .When it is hot, add mustard, after it splutters, add red chilli and curry leaves , add this to mango curry.
- Enjoy this with hot rice.