This soup is really light and creamy in texture, that too with very little calories. Addition of broccoli neutralises the strong flavour of leek as well as gives creaminess and appealing colour without adding any fat.
This is a lovely option to have when it is cold outside. With a slice of garlic bread or whole wheat bread or with lots of croutons this can be a delicious, nutrient filled meal.
First we will see how to prepare this soup:
Leeks- 2 to 3 (white and green parts are chopped and tops can be used in stock)
Broccoli – 1 medium head.
Toasted Pine nuts- ¼ to ½ cup (you can use any nuts of your choice)
Vegetable stock – 4 cups
Butter – 1 tsp
Turmeric- ½ tsp.
Red chilli flakes
- Clean leek by removing each cover,( Refer note) and chop (keep aside some roundels for garnishing).
- Heat butter in a pan ,add reserved roundels and fry till you see the charred look. Keep aside.(this is for garnishing)
- In this same tawa ,by using remaining butter ,add chopped leeks,saute for a while.Then add broccoli florets ,turmeric,garlic salt and saute for some time.
- Then add toasted pine nuts.
- Now add vegetable stock.
- Boil for 10 minutes and remove from the heat.
- After it cools down a bit ,blend this carefully.
- Bring this puree to boil ,check the seasoning.
- Serve this soup by sprinkling red chilli flakes ,pepper and toasted leek roundels.
- If you want you can add bread croutons or have it with garlic bread.
How to clean leek : Leek has very tightly packed leafy layers. Usually we find a lot of mud in between the layers ,because they usually grow in loose ,sandy soil. To clean this , trim off the roots and top dried part if any. Now halve the leek lengthwise ,separate all the layers ,so that it will be really easy to rinse and clean. Now leek is ready to use.
How to prepare Vegetable stock :
Vegetable stock is always handy while preparing clear soups ,some other soups or one pot meal etc.
Here comes my recipe – Take a cooker ,add roughly chopped veggies and herbs like Lemon grass ,leek outer leaves and leaf tops (you can use fresh ones in a leek soup ),carrot ,tomato,beans ,cabbage, cauliflower stalk or couple of heads ,Coriander stalk (stalk gives very nice aroma) celery stalk -2 ,pepper corns -5 and garlic cloves -4.
Add water (till veggies immerse in water) pressure cook for two whistles, when pressure releases ,strain this and collect the stock , keep this for soup making.