I have a thing for the movie Sarfarosh, and the character portrayed by Aamir Khan in it. And then there are a set of movies which make you feel crazy and go all Goosebumps about Police. We all had that childhood dream of becoming that Tough Cop who bets the criminals black and blue but has a sensitive side where he respects the needful and the poor. But how often do we find such police officials in and around us? How many of these cops decide not to budge to pressure and stay corruption free, dynamic and have a daredevil attitude?
I don’t really know how many of you in India have heard of this name “Annamalai Kuppeswamy” Or the “SINGHAM “ that he is called. But ask the people of South Karnataka, they will tell you about him. His acts of pure professionalism, corruption free daredevil attitude. For those of you who don’t know, Annamalai hails from Karur district of Tamil Nadu, A Mechanical Engineering graduate and later an MBA at IIM-Lucknow had set the launch pad for him to land a “HIGH PAYCHECK” job. But while doing his MBA in UP, Annamalai was exposed to poverty and social disparities. It was then that he decided to become a government servant.
Annamalai is an IPS officer of 2011 batch and started his career as ASP of Karkala Sub Division in 2013. He was promoted and posted as Superintendent of Police of Udupi district and took charge on January 1, 2015. He is known for his exemplary skills in crime detection and handling criminals. People of Udupi had developed so much of a liking for him that there were several fan pages dedicated to him on social networking platforms. But amidst a lot of protests and opposes he was transferred to Chikkamagaluru district of Karnataka.
But then a lion is a lion, whether, in one jungle or the other, An IPS officer of his stature is a force impossible to stop. Well, let’s get into business right away. Here are some of those illustrations of his dynamic nature. Remember, all these have happened within 20 days of him becoming the SP of Chikkamagalur
• Wear a Helmet or get fined: The Chikkamagaluru people and police were very clear of a few things in Annamalai’s first press conference there. Two-wheeler riders were strictly asked to choose between wearing helmets or paying fines. The Police were also ordered to wear separate riding helmets. The full police uniform was also made mandatory.
• Playing Matka (Gambling)? Be Ready To Be Raided By the police: Talk about being deceptive, and you will find Mr. Singham beating the best actors around. One fine evening he walked into a gambling center with tattered clothes and asked the gambler to get him involved for 20 bucks. The gambler said the minimum was 50 rupees. The next thing he knew was that he was that he was locked in jail with a case of gambling booked against his name.
• Own a Provision Store, and sell Cigarette, gutka??: This menace is almost treated normal all around, but this tough cop doesn’t take breaking rules lightly. On a fine morning, he walks down the lane to a provision shop. Asks the shopkeeper for a pack of cigarette, A pack of Beedi, and a pack of Gutka. The shopkeeper was expecting bony in return. But he got a bill which read, “Fined Rs.30,000/- for selling cigarette’s beedi and Gutka in a provision store”!! The shopkeeper requested a reduced fine. The reply was simple. “Pay it today or you will have to pay a lakh tomorrow.” The message was delivered and shopkeepers now think twice before selling cigarettes.
• Gambling again!! The queens and Jacks won’t go well with The KING SINGHAM: Mr. Annamalai raided a gambling center and asked the bearer out there if there were any cops present there playing. Someone shouted off the police raid. But no one moved. They were confident that the political influence that they had would stop anyone from raising voices against them. But Annamalai was no common cop. He picked their leader up, slapped him hard across his face, and showed him who the boss really was. There were 33 people who were booked on the charges of gambling. And not to mention explicitly, 3 cops involved and supporting this crime were suspended with immediate effect then and there.
• Are you a Police in the night shift? And do you have plans of simply sleeping it off? : 2 police constables on a night shift decided to call it off for the night and sleep instead. But well Annamalai got the better of them as well. He simply took their Police caps and “latis” and left. The next day he asked them, “Where your Latis and caps are ?” Now you know who the boss is right?
Apart from all these acts of heroism, there is another aspect that makes us all proud of him. And that’s his humanity. An 8-month pregnant lady came to him complaining that her in-laws had tortured her, thrown her out of the house and had deserted her. She had come to him seeking justice. Annamalai consoled her and said,” I am not talking to you as a police officer, but instead as a brother. As of now, don’t worry about all these. You have a kid to take care, and that should be your priority. Go to your parents. Come to me after 4 months. I will make sure that the justice is served to you. As of now your only worry should be to take care of yourself and your kid”. The women thanked him and left happily.
These incidents are just a few glimpses of the gentlemanly but roaring nature of this Police officer. India needs more officers of his nature who have a strong wit to battle crime, and a soft heart to stay humble and humane. We are all proud to have you, sir. All the best for all your future, and keep rocking the way you are doing now .
(Some incidents in this article are picked up from a Kannada daily Prajavani. These are picked/ modified and published on our website with the only intention that these acts heroism reach more and more people.)