Sheer Khurma is also known as Sheer Khorma. The term represents Milk with dry dates. It is Vermicelli kheer with lots and lots of dry fruits and dry dates. It is a traditional sweet dish, which is served during Eid Ul Fitr.
I wanted to try this recipe from so long. I took my house-help’s help to gather how it is made and she described to me how her mom used to make this on festival days. She guided me on how to chop all these dry fruits as well.
Milk – 1.5 litres.
Ghee – 2 to 3 tbl spoon (to fry all the dry fruits)
Sugar – to taste (used almost ½ cup)
Dry dates – ¼ cup (sliced length wise)
Almond – ¼ cup (slivered)
Cashew – 2 table spoon (bits)
Pista – ¼ cup (chopped)
Raisins – 2 table spoon
Chironji – 2 table spoons
Vermicelli – ¼ cup
Saffron – 8 to 10 strands
Cardamom – ½ tea spoon.
-Take ghee in a thick bottomed kadai and roast vermicelli, remove and keep aside.
– Fry all the dry fruits one by one.
- Soak saffron in 2 table spoon of hot milk and keep aside.
- Take roasted vermicelli and dry fruits together in this same kadai and pour milk and boil.
- Cook this until you see a creamy texture and vermicelli is perfectly done.
- It takes anywhere between fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Now add in sugar and check for the sweetness and adjust the quantity and boil.
- Lastly add soaked saffron and cardamom powder.
- You can serve this as a hot dessert or chilled.