I wanted to experiment in eggless as well as butter less baking. The first thing which came to my mind was Flax seed. It is considered as a good egg replacer from many and personally I like it too. So, I started my experiment. This is my first effort and I will update with improved versions soon.
At first, I took flax seed and soaked in a cup of water. After an hour I made a paste out of it and boiled it until it reduced to half.
This is my first experiment and I’m happy with the result. The texture was very soft, and it had a mild sweetness, with a burst of coconut flavor. It felt like bread and not like a cake 😉 Will soon, update with my next attempt.
All-purpose flour – 2 cups
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ½ tsp
Sugar – ¾ cup
Flax jell – ½ cup
Milk – ½ cup
Salt- ½ tsp
Desiccated Coconut – ½ cup
Grated zucchini – 1 ½ cup
- Prepare flax jell by soaking flaxseed in water for an hour, grind this and boil this until it reduces to half.
- Now sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix nicely. Add grated zucchini and coconut to the flour, keep aside.
- Take one bowl, put milk, flax gel, sugar, and salt. Beat this well.
- Fold in and don’t over mix this.
- Sprinkle some desiccated coconut on top.
- Bake this in a pre-heated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until done at 180º C.
NOTE: – This was soft and mildly sweet. If you want more sweetness you can increase the sugar level and if you want less sweetness, please decrease the quantity of the sugar.