Breadfruit is commonly known as Jeegujje or Deevi halasu in our native language. It is a staple food in many tropical region and considered as an exotic veggie and wonder food only because of its richness either in its taste, fragrance, its high source of gluten free carbohydrate, protein and minerals.
Breadfruit is a seasonal, much-loved veggie in our coastal region of Karnataka. It can be consumed when it is mature, but still firm and can be cooked and eaten in many forms. Today I am going to write about its chips. How we can make this exotic savoury and enjoy the gloomy weather.
I got this fresh Breadfruit from my cousin brother’s farm and got an opportunity to make these chips and had them after ages. Guidance was given by my lovely co sister who prepares this in our native, during every season.
Breadfruit – 2
Salt -1 table spoon
Turmeric – ½ tea spoon (optional)
Water – 1 small cup
Coconut oil – To deep fry
Chips slicer – to slice
- Apply some oil to your hand. To some extent it will protect your hand from blackening.
- Take fresh breadfruit, wash properly. Take one sharp knife and remove outer skin as thin as possible.
- Make four longitudinal pieces, remove inner pith (which is slightly harder and rubbery in nature)
- Immerse these pieces in bowl of water.
- Take one small bowl of water and mix salt, turmeric powder and keep aside. It is your salted water, which is used while frying and addition of turmeric will enhance the colour of the chips.
- Now you can keep coconut oil for heating. When it is very hot, start making chips. To test the hotness of oil, drop one small piece of breadfruit, if it pops up immediately, it is ready.
- Take out breadfruit from water, remove traces of water by wiping it out. Make each quarter into half and now you will get 8 total pieces from one bread fruit.
- Take each piece and start slicing directly to the hot oil by using slicer. Keep gas flame at medium.
- When the breadfruit slices cook, the bubbling sound of the oil becomes faint. Now you can add 1 to 2 tsp of salted water.
- You will hear lot of bubbles and bubbling sound immediately after adding salted water to the hot oil.
- When the sound reduces, the chips are ready to be removed from the oil.
- Remove the chips from the oil and keep them on a tissue paper laid plate.
- After cooling store it in an air tight container and proceed with the remaining bread fruit.