A most familiar food to Dakshina Kannada people “Neer Dosa”. A healthy food indeed, you just need to two to three ingredients to prepare and no worries of fermentation and all!
Dosa rice: 3cups
Beetroot: ½ cup (peeled raw)
Coconut grating – ¼ cup (optional)
*Wash and soak the dosa rice for 5-6 hours or overnight.
* Grind the dosa rice, coconut grating, beetroot and salt.
* Be careful while adding salt since this batter doesn’t require much salt.
* Make very smooth paste. You can first grind rice only and then coconut grating and beetroot pieces.
* Add enough water to get milky consistency. Now the batter is ready.
* Heat the thava, you can use either non-stick or iron thava, where I prefer iron thava always. Grease with a
drop of oil
* Take ladle full of batter and pour it around half feet above from thava taking care that it spreads nicely on
thava since batter is watery you need not spread like other dosas.
* If you’re using non-stick thava here is easy tip: As soon as you pour the batter on thava, swirl the thava a little
so that it spread’s very nicely on thava.
* Close using lid and cook about 30-40seconds, don’t flip over.
* Remove from thava very carefully & now yummy – healthy – colorful breakfast it ready to serve.
Authentic combination for neer dosa is jaggery grated and coconut grating, goes well with chutney and other sambar too. Here in picture it’s jaggery and coconut grated mix, onion chutney, brinjal and drumstick sambar.