Happy 68th Independence Day India. To celebrate freedom, I prepared a special lunch consisting of three colors of our flag. This lunch included Jeera rice, Palak Paneer and thiranga dal. Today I am going to start this series of recipes with the dal.
I have given the name for this particular dal as Tiranga dal because it has got three varieties of dal. Dal was loved by all including my picky eaters. Hope you guys enjoy this simple yet flavorful dal.
Moong dal- 1/3 cup
Urad dal -1/3 cup
Toor dal- 1/3 cup
Onion- 2 chopped
Ginger – ½ inch grated
Turmeric – ¼ tsp.
Red chilli powder- ½ tsp.
Coriander powder- 2 tsp.
Garam masala- 1tspn
Ghee (clarified butter)-1Tbsp
Oil – 1Tbsp
For first Seasoning: Oil – 2tsp ,Cumin – 2tsp , Pepper corn- 4 ,Clove-2 ,Cinnamon- ½ inch ,Cardamom-1.
For second seasoning : Oil -2 tbl sp , Garlic – 6 chopped , sliced green chillies – 3 to 4 ,curry leaves – 1 string , byadagi red chilli-1 , red chilli powder- 1 tsp..
Garnishing: 1 tsp. ghee and chopped coriander leaves.
- Soak all the three dals in water for 30 minutes.
- In a cooker add ghee and oil, when it is hot add cumin and all whole spices along with chopped onion, garlic, and grated ginger add little salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- Now add tomato, fry for 5 minutes. Now add all powders turmeric, redchilli powder, and coriander powder and garam masala.
- To this add soaked dal and water, pressure cook 4 whistles.
- After cooking mash this dhal nicely and add one more seasoning.
- For this seasoning : Take one small pan ,add 2 tbl sp of oil ,chopped garlic ,sliced green chilli when garlic becomes brown ,add sliced chillies ,curry leaves , 1 red chilli ,switch off the gas ,add red chilli powder and add this to dhal. Give one boil by closing the lid, so that this entire flavor will mix together and give nice aroma.
- Lastly, garnish with ghee and coriander leaves, close the lid and keep aside for 10 min. This dal can be served with jeera rice, plain rice or roti.