Recipe for 4 stuffed capsicums:
Bell peppers/capsicum/paprika(Any color, I chose red and green)- 4
Potatoes (medium sized)-4
Soya chunks-35-40 chunks
Green chillies-2 chopped
Turmeric powder-¼ tsp.
Red chilly powder-½ tsp.
Coriander powder-1½ tsp.
Roasted cumin powder/jeera powder- ¼ tsp.
Garam masala-¼ tsp.
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp.
Mustard seeds-¼ tsp.
Salt to taste
Water to sprinkle-less than ¼ cup
Oil-1 tsp. to cook the stuffing
Olive oil-1 tsp. to brush the peppers
- Pressure cook the potatoes for 3 whistles and peel the potatoes and mash them lightly. Clean the paprika and remove just the heads and the seeds from within. In a vessal clean the soya chunks in flowing water and soak them in water for 15-20 mins. Once soaked, squeeze them and remove them to chopping board. Chop them roughly to smaller pieces.
- In a pan add oil and when it is hot, pop in mustard seeds, cumin seeds and as they crackle add chopped onions and green chillies.
- Saute well and cook for a while followed by that turmeric powder, a pinch of salt and continue cooking.
- Now add the chopped soya chunks and continue cooking followed by that add red chilly powder, roasted cumin powder, coriander powder and mix well. To avoid burning of masalas, sprinkle water and continue cooking.
- Once well cooked add the mashed potatoes, garam masala and mix well. add salt to taste and mix well and cook on a medium heat till all masalas are absorbed. Then allow the stuffing to cool down.
- Once the stuffing is cooled, add them into the capsicum.
- On a baking sheet covered baking tray, place the stuffed capsicum.
- Brush the capsicum with olive oil and bake them in a convention oven at 200 degrees for 20-25 mins till you see that the capsicum is well cooked. You can find if they are cooked based on the wrinkles that get developed on the skin of the capsicum.
- Stuffed peppers are ready to be served, either as starter or as a side dish or a meal as such.
You can use any colored bell peppers to prepare stuffed bell peppers.
Stuffing could be even with other vegetables, but make sure that the stuffing is dry.