Today I am going to share a recipe, which is very easy to make and also very versatile. Versatile, as in you can add any vegetable in place of using cucumber to make it your own. Guliyappa is a Mangalore/Udupi region delicacy. Cucumber guliyappa can be served as a breakfast item and/or as evening snack item. This guliyappa can be prepared as savory and also as sweet dish. Another advantage of this guliyappa is that it can be eaten as it is without any accompaniments like chutney or sambar.
Rice- 2 cup
Cucumber – 1 big or 2 (small)
Coconut – 1 cup
Jaggery – according to your taste (for sweeter version)
Onion – 1 chopped
Clarified butter/ghee – for cooking.
1. Soak 1 cup of rice in each bowl.
2. Take cucumber- wash, peel and grate. To the grated cucumber add salt and keep aside for some time. Once it gives out water use the same for grinding the rice.
3. Take one cup of soaked rice and grind them using cucumber water. To this rice add ½ cup coconut, salt, green chilies and grind it into idly batter consistency. To this add half of the grated cucumber along with chopped onion and curry leaves. This is our savory cucumber guliyappa batter.
4. For the sweet version of the Guliyappa while grinding rice add salt, coconut, and jaggery and grind it into idly batter consistency.
5. Now take paddu tawa and keep it in a low flame, once the tawa is hot put little-clarified butter into each mold, when it is hot, pour little batter and close the lid.